Thursday, January 26, 2012

Mozart's Lasting Impression



It's interesting how many professional musicians turn their nose up at the mention of Mozart simply because his music is so popular and overly used... considered to no longer be "tasteful" due to the "average Joe" claiming to love Mozart. To judge a life's work based off current trends and redundancy is a bit silly in my opinion. It should be perfectly fine to enjoy the music of any composer or any style of music regardless of what everyone else thinks or whatever is trending at the moment (same could be said for the arts in general).

Mozart composed over 600 works in his time. It's no wonder his music continues to be influential in current advertising and/or entertainment venues, you hear it everywhere and often unknowingly (unless of course you've more than familiarized yourself with his style).

Personally, I find Mozart's music a bit too intricate and heavily focusing on the western major scale (apparently, or so I've been told, almost everything I listen to is in they key of minor). It depends on which specific piece, but I prefer my classical music "fix" to come from emotional music... similar to the works of composers like Dvorak or Bach... (not that I haven't been moved or touched by major pieces)

Here is an interesting read about the Popularity of Mozart.

No comments:

Post a Comment